Thursday, April 16, 2009

Protecting pets from domestic violence

EUREKA -- Pets are part of the family in the majority of American
households. These animals are often treated like members of the
family, but if the family is experiencing violence they can become
targets as well.

People who abuse animals often also abuse children and other family
members. In recent surveys of women entering shelters for protection
from domestic violence, almost half report that their pet has been
threatened, injured or killed by their partner. Others report that
they delayed leaving their homes because they feared their pet would
be hurt when they left. The prevalence of pet abuse by children in
these families is also disturbingly common.

”Survivors of domestic violence come from a variety of socio-economic
backgrounds,” says Paula Arrowsmith-Jones of the North Coast Rape
Crisis Team. “No one should have to choose between their own safety
and the safety of their family or their beloved pets.”

The Humboldt Domestic Violence Coordinating Council has formed a
committee to educate the community about the relationship between
domestic violence, child abuse and animal cruelty.

”The Domestic Violence and Animal Abuse Prevention Committee (DVAAP)
was created to increase public awareness and build community
partnerships that foster a proactive approach to violence prevention
in all its forms,” says Sheri Johnson, Chair, HCDVCC. “We want to help
end the cycle of abuse, and the first step toward that goal is public
education.”

--
full story:
http://www.redwoodtimes.com/garbervillenews/ci_12147748

1 comment:

  1. I wonder what the animals are thinking . I would hate to see an animal hurt or in distress. I often visit animal shelters to volunteer to walk animals. Often to me is like at least once every two weeks. Usually a Sunday I find I'm not doing too much, I should go for a walk. Why not walk some dogs. They're so appreciative. Since I've been walking these dogs, I have become more aware of different types of breeds and their personalities. I bought this book recently called Wagging Tales. It's a book written by Tim Link full of stories about him communicating with animals. It's really fun and sad and happy to read. He goes into detail about his conversations with all types of animals. Give this book a read, it's really neat.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.